Incident management is crucial to keeping your IT infrastructure healthy and running smoothly. To make the best decisions about which incident management software is right for you, it’s important first to understand what incident management is and what it entails.
This article will provide an overview of incident management and introduce six of the best incident management software tools available on the market right now.
What is Incident Management Software?
Incident management software is a tool or set of tools designed to help IT professionals manage incidents. An incident, in this context, is defined as any event that disrupts the normal operation of a system or service.
Incident management aims to return the system or service to normal operation as quickly as possible with minimal impact on users. That way, businesses can avoid or minimize the negative consequences of an incident.
There are several different types of incident management software available. Some are designed for specific incident types, while others are more general-purpose. The best incident management software for you will depend on your organization’s needs.
Benefits of Incident Management Software
Incident management software provides the following benefits:
Helps Maintain All Service Levels Frequently
With incident management software, you can maintain all service levels frequently. This helps to ensure that the system or service is always available and functioning properly.
Improves Communication and Collaboration
Incident management software can improve communication and collaboration among incident response team members. Team members can easily share information and updates about an incident by using a common platform.
Reduces Mean Time to Resolution (MTTR)
Incident management software can help reduce the mean time to resolution (MTTR). By quickly identifying and resolving incidents, you can minimize the impact on users and business operations.
Improved Satisfaction of Both User and Client
By using incident management software, you can improve the satisfaction of both users and clients. In addition, by resolving incidents quickly and efficiently, you can provide a better user experience.
Incident management software can help reduce the workload of incident response team members. By automating incident management processes, team members can focus on more important tasks.
Common Features of Incident Management Software
Every incident management software typically consists of the following features:
- Customizable and consolidated alert system: the software should have a consolidated and customizable alert system. This helps incident response team members identify and respond to incidents.
- Automatic escalation of incidents: the software should automatically escalate incidents. This helps to ensure that incidents are resolved in a timely manner.
- Issue categorization: the software should allow incident response team members to categorize incidents. This helps team members identify and resolve incidents quickly.
- Investigation tools: the software should provide investigation tools. This helps incident response team members identify the root cause of an incident.
- Problem management: the software should have problem management features. This helps incident response team members resolve problems.
- Analytics and reporting: the software should have analytics and reporting features. This helps incident response team members to track and improve incident management processes.
Top Incident Management Software
There are several incident management software tools available on the market. However, we did our research and have come up with six of the best:
SolarWinds Web Help Desk is a leading incident management software. It offers a comprehensive set of features to help incident response team members quickly resolve incidents. While it may seem like a simple help desk system, it’s actually more than that. It has asset management and version control features that help incident response team members to track and manage assets.
SolarWinds offers the following features:
- A simple layout for easy incident management.
- On-premise tool for organizations who don’t want a cloud-based solution.
- Trackable time entries and SLA performance for help desk teams.
- Proactive alerts to notify staff when SLAs are in threat of being breached.
Atera is a useful cloud-based incident management package. It offers all the features you need to manage incidents quickly and efficiently. In addition, Atera’s incident management module is fully integrated with its other modules, such as monitoring and management (RMM) functions and professional services automation (PSA) systems.
- Altera offers the following features:
- Built for larger helpdesk teams.
- All-in-one solution for remote incident management.
- Lightweight cloud service, which lowers startup costs for helpdesk teams.
ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus is an incident management software available as either an on-premise or cloud-based solution. It’s a powerful and comprehensive incident management system that encompasses its Help Desk functions. At the same time, the module also includes SLA tracking and performance monitoring. Other offerings include a service catalog that covers both technical and business-related services.
ManageEngine’s notable features include:
- Robust all-in-one platform to manage maintenance requests, client contracts, and other MSP services.
- Automatic asset discovery to help keep teams informed of the scope and new devices added to the network.
- Cross-platform support for both Windows and Linux.
- Available as both on-premise and SaaS.
Zendesk is a popular incident management software that caters to small to medium-sized businesses. This support suite allows teams to work seamlessly with a single set of tools and processes that work similarly on any channel: chat, email, voice, and even social messaging apps like WhatsApp, Facebook, WeChat, Twitter, etc.
Zendesk’s notable features include:
- Fully customizable incident management system.
- Integrated suite of features that work on any channel.
- Available in multiple languages.
- Integrations with Zoom, Productboard, Kaizo, SessionStack, Nicereply, Amazon Connect, Harvester, etc.
ServiceNow incident management software is a cloud-based solution designed to manage incidents quickly and efficiently. It is a complete incident management system that offers incident workflow, knowledge management, self-service, and more.
ServiceNow incident management software notable features include:
- Fully featured incident management system.
- Self-service incident management portal.
- Workflow incident management.
- Integrated knowledge management.
While it’s primarily a workflow automation software, the DataMyte Digital Clipboard is a comprehensive solution that provides tools and features that will prove useful to incident response team members in quickly resolving incidents.
The DataMyte Digital Clipboard is designed to create workflows of any sort. This means you can create one that encompasses all aspects of incident management and other incident response processes.
The DataMyte Digital Clipboard’s notable features include:
- Fully customizable incident management workflows.
- Drag-and-drop interface for easy workflow creation.
- Checklist builder and smart forms that can help create relevant tools for conducting incident management tasks.
- Streamline the incident management process with ease.
- Real-time data gathering capabilities to help improve incident management strategy.
- Reporting and analytics capabilities.
Incident management is crucial to a healthy overall IT infrastructure. The right software can help you quickly resolve incidents and improve your incident response process. By using the six incident management software tools and solutions listed in this post, you can streamline incident management in your organization and improve your overall IT ecosystem. Visit DATAMYTE now!