Nowadays, organizations are relying more and more on remote workflows. Fortunately, legally binding electronic and digital signatures now exist to make digital approvals faster and more efficient. You can use electronic signatures in various software, including the ever-reliable Microsoft Word. But you might be wondering, “how do you even do that?” How to create a form with an electronic signature in Word? This article will answer that as the following segments will discuss how.
Creating e-signatures in Microsoft Word is quite easy and can be applied in the 2007 version up to the current one, Office 365. With that said, follow these steps to create an electronic signature in Microsoft Word:
- Place the cursor on the spot where you intend to place the signature.
- Click the ‘Insert Tab’ and click on ‘Signature Line.’
- In other Microsoft Word versions, you will need to click “Signature List” under the “Text” option.
- Select your desired signature from the ones available. You can have up to 15 signatures stored in Word.
- For the older version of Microsoft Office, you will need to click “New” to create a new signature.
- Fill out the required details such as “Suggested Signer” and “Title.” Once you do, the signature line will appear.
- Click on ‘Save’ and give your electronic signature a name and save it as a .jpg file.
- Go back to the document and hit ‘Ctrl’ and the letter ‘S.’ Click on your newly added signature line, and you’re done!
- Your e-signature is now ready in Microsoft Word.
How To Create a Digital Signature
A digital signature is a different type of electronic signature that adds a security feature through encryption. It uses a PKI (public key infrastructure) that requires keys to encrypt and decrypt data and ensure its authenticity.
Before you or your clients can digitally sign a word document, you must have a current digital certificate issued by an authorized Certificate Authority (CA). CAs are third-party organizations that give trusted certificates to other entities online.
An example of a Certificate Authority is Symantec. This US company offers a wide variety of online services and products, including SSL certificates, virus scanning software, and other core security technologies.
Your digital signature can be created using Microsoft Word. All you have to do is follow these steps to create a visible digital signature in Microsoft Word:
- Pinpoint where you need to insert the signature and insert a signature line.
- Add the appropriate information about the person who will sign the document (Name, Title, etc.).
- Right-click on the signature line and click “Sign.” You can now upload an image or your signature.
- On the “Signing as” box, click “Change.” Remember to use the right digital certificate to fill out the additional information you need.
- Click “Sign” before filling out your password.
Pros and Cons in Creating Your Own Digital Signature
Some organizations choose to create their own digital signatures by issuing personal certificates. However, choosing to create your digital certificate should only be done if you know what you are doing, as it may lead to security issues.
There are tons of benefits to creating your own digital signature. However, there are also downsides that you also need to consider. With that said, here are the pros and cons of creating your digital signature:
- Faster and more efficient since you don’t need to secure a digital certificate from a third-party issuer.
- More control over the security features of your digital signature because you can create it yourself.
- Convenience for both parties; you can sign documents without uploading your signature each time.
- Higher chance of approval since you are the one creating your digital signature.
- Fits perfectly well with today’s digital trend.
- Removes the need to physically print and sign a document and scan it again.
- Lowers operational cost since you won’t need to spend too much on printers, paper, and other stationery.
- May lead to security issues, such as having it hacked or lost.
- Higher risks of identity theft.
- More challenging to recreate if lost or stolen.
- The digital signature may be more vulnerable when one person creates it.
- Lacks the stamp of credibility and trustworthiness that accompanies CAs.
- Not easily accessible to those who do not know how to create their digital signatures.
So while it does have a lot of positives to offer, digital signatures also have their fair share of disadvantages that you’ll need to weigh before you can decide whether to create your digital signature or not.
Why Use DataMyte Digital Clipboard
As a productivity and performance platform, DataMyte Digital Clipboard offers a wide range of time-saving tools that work online and offline to help you get things done more quickly than ever before.
DataMyte Digital Clipboard has a ton to offer. It boasts the following features:
- A digital clipboard to store all types of data, including images, video clips, text blocks, store links, and so much more.
- Helps you store important information offline for easy reference at a later time.
- Secure storage of all your private data.
- Easy access via a single keyboard shortcut.
- Comes with a visual search tool to help you find the information you need quickly.
- A widget that lets you sign electronic signatures in your forms.
- Allows for integrated action buttons, such as ‘Print,’ ‘Email,’ and more.
- Workflow builder that lets you create automated tasks.
- Encrypted email support for safe and secure communications.
- Creates QR codes to make it easy to share URLs, contact information, and more.
- A form builder that automatically creates form fields when you enter data.
- Note-taker where you can take notes on the fly.
- Easily upload files from your computer directly into DataMyte.
DataMyte Digital Clipboard has all these features wrapped into one neat package to help you get things done faster and make it easier to manage all your tasks. Visit our official website now for more information. You can also check out our other products and services.
Creating a form with an electronic signature in Word might be simple. But its impact on how people do business today is quite significant. If you want your business to embrace the convenience and simplicity of modernization, then consider switching from physical to digital signatures. For other interesting discussions and topics, check out our blog page.