QR codes are becoming increasingly popular, and for a good reason – they’re a quick and easy way to access information. But to take advantage of QR codes, you need a QR code scanner app. While you can always use QR code scanner apps available online, you also have the option to create one.
This article will teach you how to create a QR code scanner app for Android. We’ll go over the steps necessary and what you need to know before getting started. So if you’re ready to learn, keep reading!
What is a QR Code?
To recap, QR stands for “Quick Release.” QR codes are two-dimensional barcodes that can be read by QR scanners, which are available as standalone devices or built into many smartphones. QR codes can store various data, including text, website URLs, and other types of data. When a QR code is scanned, the QR scanner decodes the QR code and displays the stored data on the screen.
Why Would You Need a QR Code Scanner App?
QR codes are becoming more and more popular as a way to share information. They’re quick and easy to use, and they can store a lot of data in a small space. QR codes can be used to share links to websites, contact information, or even just plain text.
If you’ve ever seen a QR code and wondered how to scan it, you’re not alone. QR codes are becoming more and more common, but not everyone knows how to use them. QR code scanner apps are available for both iPhone and Android devices and can make QR code scanning a breeze.
Android vs. iOS QR Code Scanning
There are a few key differences and similarities between QR code scanning on Android and iOS devices:
- First, QR code scanner apps are built into either operating system. To scan QR codes on an iPhone, you’ll need to open your camera app to access the QR scanner. The same goes for Android devices.
- Second, QR code scanning on Android is typically faster than QR code scanning on iOS. This is due to the fact that QR code scanner apps have access to the camera in real-time on Android, while on iOS, QR code scanner apps must first launch the camera app before QR codes can be scanned.
- Third, QR code scanning on Android typically requires less power than QR code scanning on iOS. This is again due to the fact that QR code scanner apps have direct access to the camera on Android, while on iOS, QR code scanner apps must first launch the camera app, which can be a battery-intensive process.
How to Create a QR Code Scanner App for Android
Now that we’ve gone over what QR codes are and why you might need a QR code scanner app, let’s look at how to create your own QR code scanner app for Android.
Creating a QR code scanner app for Android is actually quite simple. First, you need a QR code scanner library and a QR code image.
There are a few different QR code scanner libraries available for Android. However, we recommend using ZXing, which is an open-source QR code scanner library.
Once you have your QR code scanner library set up, you’ll need to create a QR code image. You can use an online QR code generator like QR Code Generator to create your QR code.
Be sure to include the URL of the website you want to link to. You can also include other information like your contact information or a plain text message.
Once you have your QR code image, you’re ready to start coding!
Follow the steps outlined below:
- The first thing you’ll need to do is add the QR code scanner library to your project. In Android Studio, this can be done by selecting File > New > Import-Module.
- Next, you’ll need to create a new Activity class for your QR code scanner app. We recommend using the QRScannerActivity class from the ZXing library as a starting point.
- Once you have your QR code scanner Activity class setup, you’ll need to add some code to initialize the QR code scanner.
- Initializing the QR code scanner is simple. You need to create a new instance of the QRScanner class and call the startScanning() method.
- Once the QR code scanner is initialized, you’ll need to add some code to handle the QR code scanning results.
- When a QR code is scanned, the QR code scanner will return a Result object. This object contains information about the QR code that was scanned, including the text of the QR code.
- You can access this text by calling the getText() method on the Result object. Once you have the text, you can do whatever you want with it. For example, you could display it in a TextView or use it to open a website.
For full details on the actual codes you’re going to input, visit this link from LearnToDroid.
And that’s it! You now have a QR code scanner app for Android. Try scanning different QR codes and see what happens. You can also try creating your own QR codes and see if your QR code scanner app can scan them.
If this is your first time coding, you will encounter several errors along the way. You will go through a lot of trial and error. So just remain patient and trust in the knowledge that you’ve learned from the resources you’ve read and watched.
Why Use DataMyte Instead?
Creating a QR code scanner app can be fulfilling, especially if you manage to pull it off. However, practicality-wise, why would you go through all of that when you can use DataMyte and its built-in QR code scanner?
If you don’t have the time or the QR code scanner app development skills to go through the QR code scanner app creation process, we strongly suggest using DataMyte instead.
The DataMyte Digital Clipboard has a built-in barcode and QR code reader to help you easily scan and read all of your QR codes.
Plus, the DataMyte Digital Clipboard is packed with other features that can help you streamline your data collection process, such as:
- Customizable fields and forms
- Auto-sync across devices
- Rule-based alerts and notifications
- And much more!
Schedule a demo with us today to learn more about how the DataMyte Digital Clipboard can help you. We’ll be more than happy to show you how our QR code scanner app can make your data collection process easier and more efficient.
QR codes are a great way to share information quickly and easily. With a QR code scanner app, you can scan QR codes and access the information they contain. Creating a QR code scanner app isn’t hard, but it isn’t easy, either. So while it is doable, we highly recommend that you use a QR code scanner like DataMyte to save you time and effort.