Are you running a business that requires the use of vehicles? Whether it’s a small number of delivery trucks or a large fleet of ten-wheelers, your business relies on these vehicles to deliver – literally. But your vehicles won’t always be in tip-top shape. Time will come when they will require maintenance. That’s why you need to have a plan to maintain them.
Using a vehicle inspection checklist lets you keep your wheeled investments in proper working order. A simple vehicle inspection checklist is enough to ensure that your entire fleet is working and in good condition. This article will discuss everything you need to know about a vehicle inspection checklist, including how to make one.
What is a Vehicle Inspection Checklist?
A vehicle inspection checklist (also known as a vehicle inspection form) is a document that details the condition of a vehicle at the time it was inspected. The inspection includes a visual check of the vehicle’s exterior and interior and its engine and other systems. The goal is to identify any problems with the vehicle so that they can be fixed before they become bigger, more expensive problems.
Why is a Vehicle Inspection Checklist Important?
A vehicle inspection checklist is important because it helps you keep track of your vehicles’ maintenance needs. By knowing what needs to be fixed or serviced, you can prevent bigger and more costly problems down the line. A checklist is like a map for vehicle upkeep – it helps you get where you need to go. So, if your business uses vehicles, you need a vehicle inspection checklist.
Benefits of a Vehicle Inspection Checklist
Generally speaking, the main purpose of inspection checklists (according to TempleLab) is to help anyone performing the inspection stay organized. A vehicle inspection checklist, in particular, has several significant benefits :
- Better maintenance: by performing regular vehicle inspections, the inspector can significantly improve maintenance outcomes. A vehicle inspection checklist keeps your vehicles in better shape and ensures they operate more efficiently and last longer.
- Reduced costs: by catching problems early, you can avoid more costly repairs down the line. In some cases, an inspection can even help you avoid an accident altogether.
- Improved safety: a vehicle inspection checklist helps to ensure that your vehicles are safe for operation. This is especially important if your business involves transporting goods or people.
- Quick inspections: with a checklist, you can quickly and easily perform a check without remembering everything. This is especially helpful if you’re short on time or have a lot of vehicles to inspect.
- Lesser downtime: when your vehicles are in the best possible condition, maintenance-wise, it means that they’ll spend less time in the shop. This translates to reduced downtime for your business – and more money in your pocket.
What is Included in a Vehicle Inspection Checklist?
The contents of a vehicle inspection checklist depending on the type of vehicle being inspected. However, some general items should be included in any inspection checklist:
- Fluids and filters – includes a check on the levels of all fluids (engine oil, power steering fluid, coolant, etc.) and replacing any filters that look dirty or clogged.
- Tires – includes a check on all tires’ pressure and tread depth. If any tires are balding or have low pressure, they need to be replaced.
- Engine – includes a visual check of the engine, hoses, and belts.
- Undercarriage – includes a visual check of the suspension, exhaust system, and other components.
- Brakes – includes a visual check of the pads, discs, and fluid level.
- Transmission – includes a visual check of the fluid level and condition.
- Horn – includes a check for proper operation of the horn.
- Windshield wipers – includes a check for proper operation.
- Lights – includes a check for proper operation of headlights, taillights, brake lights, and turn signals.
- Seat belts – includes a visual inspection for damage and wear.
- Windows – includes a visual inspection for cracks, chips, and scratches.
- Mirrors – includes a visual inspection for cracks, chips, and scratches.
How to Create a Vehicle Inspection Checklist Using DataMyte Digital Clipboard
DATAMYTE is an expert in productivity and performance. Its checklist and task management features prove useful in creating a comprehensive vehicle inspection checklist that is easy to follow and helps you get the job done quickly and efficiently.
Here’s how you can create a vehicle inspection checklist using DataMyte:
- Create a new checklist in DataMyte Digital Clipboard and name it “Vehicle Inspection Checklist.”
- Add all of the items that should be included in the inspection, such as fluids, filters, tires, brakes, etc.
- For each item, add a description of what needs to be checked and any other relevant information.
- Assign the checklist to the person or team performing the inspection.
- Set a deadline for when the inspection should be completed.
That’s it! You’ve just created a vehicle inspection checklist from scratch. You can now use it in every vehicle inspection that you do.
With DataMyte, you can easily create a comprehensive and effective vehicle inspection checklist. This will help keep your vehicles in top condition, avoid costly repairs and accidents, and improve the safety of your operation.
Use DataMyte for Creating Your Vehicle Inspection App
If you want to take your vehicle inspection duties up a notch, you can ditch the traditional checklist and use DataMyte to create a custom vehicle inspection app.
With a vehicle inspection app, you can:
- Include photos and videos for each item on the checklist so that inspectors can better understand what needs to be checked.
- Create alerts and notifications to remind inspectors when to check a particular item on the list.
- Track the progress of each inspection in real-time and see which items have been checked off and which ones still need to be completed.
- Generate detailed reports on the results of each inspection.
With a vehicle inspection app, your drivers or inspectors can use their mobile devices when conducting a vehicle inspection. They can then save, upload, or share their report with you as soon as they’re done. Creating a custom vehicle inspection app with DataMyte is easy and only takes a few minutes. Request a demo today to see how it works.
Now that you know how to create a vehicle inspection checklist using DATAMYTE, you can get started on making sure your vehicles are always in top condition. This will help save you money on repairs and improve the safety of your operation. So, what are you waiting for? It’s time to get started!