If you run a business that relies on vehicle transportation, it’s important to have a vehicle damage report in case of accidents. A vehicle damage report summarizes the overall findings from a vehicle damage assessment and can help streamline repair work and insurance claims.
This article will discuss what a vehicle damage report is and how you can make one for your business. We’ll also discuss the benefits of using digital record keeping to generate comprehensive vehicle damage reports automatically.
What is a Vehicle Damage Report?
A vehicle damage report is a document that summarizes the findings of a vehicle damage assessment. In addition, the report includes information about the vehicles and parties involved in the accident and the extent of the damage. Drivers and fleet managers use damage reports to support insurance claims.
A vehicle damage report documents the following information:
- Vehicles and parties involved
- Details of the accident
- The scope and severity of the damage
How to Assess Car Damage?
Before you commence car damage assessment for insurance purposes, it’s important to handle any pressing medical concerns and call for medical attention if necessary. Then, after covering the health and safety concerns (without risks of sustaining further injuries), you can proceed with car damage assessment by doing the following:
- Inform local authorities so you have a legal record of the vehicle accident.
- If the vehicle is a company asset, inform your company’s vehicle insurance about the accident as soon as possible so that they can commence the vehicle insurance claim process.
- Make notes and be as detailed as possible about what happened during the vehicle accident. Include information about the other vehicle, any witnesses, and the environment where the accident happened.
- Take photos of the vehicle damage from different angles. If there are any visible skid marks on the road, take photos of those as well.
- If you were not at fault for the accident, make sure the other driver’s vehicle insurance should cover the damages.
- Determine the cause of the accident and gather any relevant information, such as eyewitnesses statements or traffic camera footage.
- Discuss the car damage with the insurance provider to understand better what to do next.
Elements to Include in a Vehicle Damage Report
A good vehicle damage report will depend on the performance of the damage assessment. Assessing vehicle damage will be able to capture the following:
- General information about the location, time, vehicle, and parties involved.
- Factual details of the accident
- The scope of the damage
Every good vehicle damage report should contain two main elements:
- Details of the Accident: This includes what happened, when it happened, and where. Be as detailed as possible in your description of the accident. Support opinions of the cause of the accident with sketches, photo evidence, and witness statements.
- The extent of the Damage: This section documents the damage to the vehicle. Include photos and description of the damage. Identify all areas of the vehicle and capture sufficient evidence of key damaged areas.
When is a Vehicle Damage Report Required?
It might not be clear for some when a vehicle damage report is necessary. There are a few instances where you may be required to generate a vehicle damage report. A vehicle damage report may be required in the following cases:
- If the vehicle is a company asset, and the accident happened during business hours
- If the vehicle is leased
- When the vehicle insurance claim process has been initiated
- As part of the legal proceedings for a vehicle accident case
Vehicle Damage Report Tips
A successful vehicle damage report will be accurate, clear, and concise. When writing a vehicle damage report, make sure you follow these tips:
- Include every detail in your accident description: This includes information about what happened, when, and where it happened.
- Include photos or sketches of the scene: This will help support your description of the accident.
- Be clear and concise in your writing: This will help ensure that the report is easy to understand.
- Include photos of the vehicle damage: Take photos of the vehicle damage from various angles. Doing so will help support your account of the incident.
- Consider information from other people: Include information about the other vehicle, and witnesses as it will help create a more comprehensive report.
A vehicle damage report is an important document that can help streamline the repair process and insurance claims. By following the tips above, you can ensure that your vehicle damage report is clear, concise, and accurate.
DataMyte Offers Paperless Vehicle Damage Report
A vehicle accident is already burdensome enough—paper-based vehicle damage reports can complicate the entire process. Fortunately, with DataMyte, you can go paperless and enjoy the convenience of creating a comprehensive vehicle damage report using our Digital Clipboard.
The DataMyte Digital Clipboard is a workflow automation software that can serve as a digital solution to replace paper-based damage reports. Our Digital Clipboard is easy to use and features an intuitive interface designed for creating reports for assessments and inspections—that includes vehicle damage reports.
With the DataMyte Digital Clipboard, you can:
- Easily create vehicle damage reports with photo evidence, sketches, and vehicle information.
- Create a checklist that will help execute proper and comprehensive vehicle damage assessment.
- Associate vehicle damage reports with specific vehicles and customers.
- Monitor and manage vehicle damage reports from a central location.
- Export vehicle damage reports in PDF format.
- Track and manage vehicle damage reports over time and across fleets.
If you’re looking for a paperless solution to vehicle damage reporting, look no further than DATAMYTE. Our Digital Clipboard is the perfect tool for streamlining the vehicle damage report process. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you!
A vehicle incident can be a taxing experience. However, creating a vehicle damage report shouldn’t be complicated or time-consuming. With DataMyte, you can easily generate comprehensive vehicle damage reports using our Digital Clipboard. So take advantage of our solution to make the vehicle damage report creation process fast, easy, and convenient.