Like most people, you probably don’t know what a QR code is. But trust me, you will want to learn about them — especially since they are very useful for business!
QR codes are quickly becoming one of the most popular forms of marketing and communication. This is because they are simple to create and can store a lot of information. However, not many people know the significance of QR codes in everyday living, especially in business.
This article will discuss what QR codes are and why they are so important. We will also discuss the different types so that you can learn everything you need to know about them!
What is a QR Code?
A QR code is a barcode that smartphones and other devices can read. QR stands for “Quick Response” because they can be scanned to access information.
You might see them in magazines, billboards, or even on products in stores. When you scan with your smartphone, it will take you to a website, show you a message, or even open up an app.
They are so popular because they are easy to use and can store a lot of information in a small space. In addition, nearly everyone has a smartphone these days, so there is no need for special equipment to scan QR codes.
The data that you can store in it can include phone numbers, website URLs, or up to 4,000 characters of text. You can also use QR codes for the following purposes:
- Verify login details and authenticate online accounts.
- Link directly to downloadable apps on both Google Play and Apple Store.
- Access Wi-Fi by storing encryption keys.
- Pay for goods/services both digitally or in person.
- Receive payment for goods and services provided.
- And so much more!
The first QR code was invented in 1994 by Denso Wave, a Japanese company. They were originally designed to track vehicles during manufacturing, but they quickly became popular for other uses.
There are many different types and they are used for many different purposes. For example, businesses use them to promote their products, share contact information, or even provide directions to their store.
QR codes are also used in education to track attendance or share information about a class. And they are even used in art! For example, some artists have started using QR codes to share information about their work or provide a link to their website.
How to Scan a QR Code?
Today, most smartphones feature built-in QR scanners, commonly built into the camera. QR scanners are the platforms used to scan QR codes. In addition, some tablets, such as Apple’s iPad, have QR readers built into their cameras.
On the other hand, older devices may require users to download a QR scanner app before they can start scanning. Scanning a QR code using a handheld device is quite simple and straightforward. Follow the steps outlined below:
- Open the QR reader app or your phone’s camera if it has the built-in QR scanner feature on your smartphone.
- Position it on top or in front of the QR code — you should be able to point your camera from any angle and still read and access the information it entails.
- Once the QR scanner reads the QR code, the data will instantly be shown on the screen. For example, a QR code containing a promo code should automatically apply the discount to the item you or your customer will purchase.
Parts of a QR Code
A standard QR Code features six key components:
- Quiet zone: The part is the empty white border that surrounds the QR code. This is important because it allows the scanner to identify where it begins and ends.
- Data region: The data region is the part that contains the encoded data. This is usually a square or rectangular shape in the center.
- Finder pattern: The finder pattern helps the scanner identify the QR code and allows it to be read from any angle.
- Timing pattern: The timing pattern is a series of black and white squares that helps the scanner keep track of the data region.
- Alignment pattern: The alignment pattern helps the scanner align the data region with the finder pattern.
- Version information: The version information is a series of squares that indicate the size and error correction level.
Are QR Codes Safe?
One of the most frequently asked questions about QR codes is whether they are safe to use. The answer is YES!
They are no different from any other type of barcode. They cannot infect your device with a virus or malware, and the data they store is encrypted so that the intended recipient can only read it.
However, there are some risks to consider:
- First, if you scan a QR code that takes you to a website, always check to ensure the URL is legitimate.
- You can do this by looking at the top of your web browser – if the URL starts with “HTTPS,” it is a secure website. However, if it just says “HTTP,” it is not a secure website, and you should not enter any personal information.
- Another risk to consider is that it can be used to track your location. This is because your device’s GPS (Global Positioning System) determines your location when you scan.
If you are concerned about your privacy, you can do a few things to protect yourself:
- First, make sure your device’s GPS is turned off before scanning.
- You can also use a reader that does not store any information about the codes you can.
- Finally, you can clear your device’s cache and cookies after scanning a QR code to ensure no information is stored on your device.
Create QR Codes and Automate QR Scanning With DataMyte
If you’re looking for software that can help you create QR codes and automate QR scanning, look no further than DataMyte!
DataMyte’s Digital Clipboard features a QR code and barcode reader — both of which are easy to use and help you create custom ones for your business. You can also use DataMyte to create QR codes for your customers to scan.
Once you’ve created a QR code on DataMyte’s Digital Clipboard, you can then automate the process of scanning and decoding QR codes. This is a great way to streamline your business processes and save time!
To learn more about how DataMyte can help you create QR codes and automate QR scanning, contact us today! We would be happy to answer any of your questions. You can also visit our website to learn more about our Digital Clipboard and other products.
QR codes are a quick and easy way to share information. They are safe to use and can be used for various purposes. Businesses use them to promote their products, share contact information, or even provide directions to their store. Now that you know everything there is to know, go out and start using them!