If you’re looking for a detailed guide on how to create a work instruction template, you’ve come to the right place! This article will walk you through the steps of creating an effective work instruction template for your organization. A work instruction template will enable workers to carry out daily tasks correctly, even when no one is there to monitor them. While creating a work instruction template can be daunting, it is very much doable if you follow the correct steps. We’ll guide you through this process so that you can create a work instruction template for your business. Let’s get started!
What is a Work Instruction Template?
A work instruction template is a document that provides step-by-step instructions on how to carry out a task. It is designed to help employees execute their tasks effectively and accurately, even without the supervision and monitoring of a manager. In addition, work instruction templates can help train new employees or as a reference for current employees.
Why is a Work Instruction Template Important?
A work instruction template is important if you want to provide employees with detailed information on performing certain tasks effectively and efficiently. It’s a handy tool that provides the necessary detail to workers and ensures that they execute and perform any task successfully without any hassle.
A common mistake many organizations tend to commit is believing that initial training and orientation are enough to get new employees up to speed with their work. However, this is not always the case, as there will be times when workers need to refer back to the work instruction template to remind themselves of the steps they need to take.
A work instruction template provides the following benefits:
- Effective employee onboarding and training: A work instruction template can be used as a training tool for new employees. It can help orient them with their work tasks and responsibilities and provide them with a reference for future use.
- Reduced need for supervision: By providing employees with work instruction templates, you can reduce the need for supervision as workers will be able to work independently and carry out their tasks correctly.
- Improved work quality: Work instruction templates can help improve work quality by ensuring that employees carry out tasks correctly.
- Reduced human error: Work instruction templates can help reduce human error by providing employees with a step-by-step guide on carrying out their work tasks.
- Save time and resources: By having work instruction templates, you can save time and resources as it reduces the need for constant supervision and monitoring.
Uses and Purposes of a Work Instruction Template
With a work instruction template, organizations will find it much easier to break down complex procedures and turn them into easier-to-digest formats that employees can understand and implement in their tasks and roles. In addition, using specific steps and work instruction templates will ensure that work is carried out in a consistent manner every time.
Work instruction templates can also be used for other purposes, such as:
- Help train new employees while making sure established employees are always up-to-date with the company’s current SOPs.
- Reduce the risk of human errors when employees are working on specific tasks.
- Breaks down any form of communication barrier among employees.
- Ensures that employees in a department follow precise instructions and procedures to execute their tasks correctly and effectively.
- Outlines how employees can perform complex tasks in simple step-by-step instructions.
- Ensures that everyone in the company abides with the regulatory standards and compliance.
- Explain each part of a process or what part of the company entails (e.g., tools, responsibilities, requirements, etc.)
- Helps the company implement a consistent and standardized method for all procedures in each department or work area.
Write A Work Instruction Template in 10 Steps!
If you’re writing a work instruction template from scratch, you might be wondering how you can do it. This section will show ten important steps in writing a thorough and effective work instruction template. Make sure to follow every step to ensure that your work instruction template is comprehensive and covers all the key points!
Step 1: Write an Easy-to-Understand Title
The first step in writing a work instruction template is to ensure that the title is clear, accurate, and easy to understand. Like all types of documents, the title is the first thing people will see, so it’s important to ensure that it accurately reflects the content of the work instruction template.
Since the purpose of a work instruction template is to show employees how to accomplish a certain task, one of the headline formats you can use is the “How To” format. For example, “How To Fix a Printer.”
Step 2: Write a Descriptive Introduction
After you’ve written an accurate and easy-to-understand title, the next step is to write a short but descriptive introduction. In the introduction, you should provide an overview of the work instruction template. For example, you can start by writing, “This work instruction will show you how to fix a printer. Team members should use this guide whenever a printer breaks down.”
Step 3: Describe the Purpose of the Work Instruction
What’s the reason why you’re creating this particular work instruction template? The answer to this question should be in the work instruction template section.
You should describe the purpose of the task in as much detail as possible so that employees will know why they need to complete it. For example, if you’re writing a work instruction template on how to troubleshoot a printer, you can write, “The purpose of this task is to fix the printer so that it can be used again without needing further repairs.”
Step 4: Describe How to Perform the Task
This step is one of the most important parts of your work instruction template as it will contain the exact instructions for doing the task. Ensure your instructions are clear, concise, and easy to follow. You can use bullet points or numbered steps to make the instructions easier to follow.
For example, here are some steps on how to troubleshoot a printer:
- Check if the printer is turned on and if it’s properly plugged into an electrical outlet.
- Check if there’s paper in the tray and if it’s correctly loaded.
- Check if the ink cartridges are full and if they’re correctly installed.
- Run a test print to check if the printer is working properly.
Step 5: Edit and Format for Easy Reading
Once you’re done writing the instructions, the next step is to edit and format your work instruction template for easy reading. Make sure that there are no errors or typos in the document. You should also use a font size and type that’s easy to read. Some of the things you can do to make this possible include the following:
- Use heading tags to make the title and subtitles clear and easy to read.
- The instructions should be sequential.
- Each step should be in bold so that it stands out.
- If necessary, use color filters.
- Include bulleted and numbered items.
- Use images where possible.
Step 6: Validate the Information
Once you’ve completed steps one to five, you’ll need to validate the information in your work instruction template. This step is important to ensure that the instructions are correct and up-to-date.
One way to validate the information is to ask someone knowledgeable about the task to review the work instruction template. Another way is to test the work instruction template yourself by following the steps.
Step 7: Rewrite and Simplify Your Work Instruction Template
The first draft will always be imperfect. After you’ve validated the information in your work instruction template, take some time to rewrite and simplify it. This will help ensure that your work instruction template is easy to understand and follow.
Step 8: Add References
Consider adding references at the end of your work instruction template when necessary. That way, you can provide more information for those who need it. To do this, you can add an appendix or footnotes at the end of the work instruction template.
Step 9: Get Feedback and Revise
After you’ve completed all the steps, it’s time to get feedback from others. Ask your team members or colleagues if they have any suggestions on how you can improve the work instruction template. Use their feedback to revise your work instruction template.
Step 10: Save and Share
Finally, once you’re happy with your work instruction template, save it in a format you can easily share within your organization. You can save it as a PDF, Word document, or Google Doc. Once it’s saved, you can then share it with your team so they can start using it.
Use DataMyte Digital Clipboard to Write Your Work Instruction Template
The DataMyte Digital Clipboard is a workflow automation software that you can use to create your work instruction template. This software helps you document your processes, procedures, and tasks all in one place. The DataMyte Digital Clipboard also allows you to add images, videos, and attachments to your work instruction template. This makes it easier for you to provide step-by-step instructions that are easy to follow.
Schedule a demo today to learn more about how the DataMyte Digital Clipboard can help you write your work instruction template.
Creating a workflow instruction can be a long process. However, with the right guidance and tools, you can easily write a work instruction template that’s easy to follow and understand. Use the DataMyte Digital Clipboard to make writing a work instruction template easier. So, schedule a demo today to learn more about how this software can help you.